Improvements are items used to add Properties to equipment. They are used during downtime but, unlike projects, take no time to finish. Instead, they are expended immediately, passing the Property they contain onto an appropriate piece of equipment.
Name: Improvements use a name assigned by their property to reflect their interchangeable nature.
Quality: Improvements cannot be used in play, so they have no Quality attribute.
Properties: An improvement always has a single Property, which determines its type and method of creation.
- Crystals apply a concealment, compulsion, enhancement, or movement property. They are created with essences and a Crystal downtime ability.
- Infusions apply a passive property. They are created with elements and an Infusion downtime ability.
- Jewels apply a curative or defensive property. They are created with gems and a Jewel downtime ability.
- Runes apply an affliction, confinement, or damage property. They are created with mana and a Rune downtime ability.
- One piece of equipment can be used to increase the quality of another piece of equipment of the same type. Using equipment in this way destroys it and imparts its Quality (but not its Properties) on the improved equipment.
Value: The Value of an improvement is equal to the square of the level of its Property.